(For an overview of this series, please read this post.)
In this post we shift from focusing on the traits common to great Metro applications to looking at the process of planning Metro style apps. Many times when we plan and implement applications we have a tendency to focus on individual features which can cause us to lose the big picture of overall user experience. Since Metro style apps are all about experience its important to focus on experience instead of specific features.The following steps can help you do this:
- Decide what your app is great at
- Decide what user activities to support
- Decide what features to include
- Decide how to monetize your app
- Design the UI for your app
- Make a good first impression
- Prototype and validate your design
Focusing on experience does not mean that we simply ignore features. As step three calls out, we need to decide what features to include in the app. We just need to keep in mind that features are only one component of the entire application experience.
In the next set of posts we’ll look at each of the steps for planning your Metro style app in depth.