(For an overview of this series, please read this post.)
Today’s post is the last post focused on the eight traits of Metro style applications.
To create great and immersive Metro style applications, you should focus on embracing the following principles:
Show pride in craftsmanship
- Devote time and energy to small things that are seen often by many.
- Engineer the experience to be complete and polished at every stage.
Do more with less
- Solve for distractions, not discoverability. Let people be immersed in what they love and they will explore the rest.
- Create a clean and purposeful experience by leaving only the most relevant elements on screen so people can be immersed in the content.
Be fast and fluid
- Let people interact directly with content, and respond to actions quickly with matching energy.
- Bring life to the experience, create a sense of continuity and tell a story through meaningful use of motion.
Be authentically digital
- Take full advantage of the digital medium. Remove physical boundaries to create experiences that are more efficient and effortless than reality.
- Embrace the fact that we are pixels on a screen. Design with bold, vibrant and crisp colors and images that go beyond the limits of real world material.
Win as one
- Leverage the ecosystem and work together with other apps, devices and the system to complete scenarios for people.
- Fit into the UI model to reduce redundancy. Take advantage of what people already know to provide a sense of familiarity, control, and confidence.
This wraps up the set of posts on the traits of great Metro style apps. Next up, plan your Metro style app.